When it comes to eating healthy, the same old advice is often repeated: stick to fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins. While these foods are undoubtedly good for you, there are many other unexpected foods that are equally nutritious. Here are 10 surprising foods that are actually good for you:
1. Dark Chocolate: While most candy is filled with sugar and artificial ingredients, dark chocolate that contains at least 70% cocoa is a superfood in disguise. It contains antioxidants that can protect against disease, and may even help to lower blood pressure.
2. Popcorn: This snack is often considered a guilty pleasure, but it’s actually a great choice for weight loss. Air-popped popcorn is low in calories and high in fiber, which will keep you feeling full for longer.
3. Red Wine: While excessive alcohol consumption is detrimental to your health, a glass of red wine can actually be beneficial. It contains antioxidants that can reduce inflammation and protect against heart disease.
4. Seaweed: This staple in Japanese cuisine is rich in vitamins and minerals, including iodine which is essential for thyroid function. Seaweed is also a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
5. Sauerkraut: This fermented cabbage dish is packed with probiotics, which are good bacteria that populate your gut and help to boost your immune system.
6. Liver: While it’s not the most appetizing food, liver is extremely nutrient-dense. It’s rich in vitamins A and K, iron, and selenium.
7. Sardines: These tiny fish are a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and vitamin D. They’re also low in mercury compared to other types of fish.
8. Kefir: This fermented drink is similar to yogurt, and it’s loaded with probiotics that can improve digestion and boost your immune system.
9. Watermelon: This fruit is more than just a refreshing summertime treat. It’s loaded with vitamins A and C, and it may even have anti-inflammatory properties.
10. Almond Butter: While peanut butter gets all the attention, almond butter is a better choice for your health. It’s low in sugar and high in protein, healthy fats, and fiber.
In conclusion, expanding your diet to include these surprising foods can help to improve your overall health and well-being. Not only are they delicious, they’re packed with nutrients that can have a positive impact on your body. So go ahead, try something new – your body will thank you.